Temporary Use Permit (TUP)

Temporary Use Permits (TUPs) can authorize a particular use to occur, temporarily, in a zone where it is not usually permitted. The permit is issued for a specified period of time not exceeding three (3) years, which may be renewed once only for a further period not exceeding 3 years, and establishes the conditions under which the temporary use may be carried on.

Temporary Use Permits are not intended to be a substitute for a rezoning application with the exception of short-term vacation rental uses, which the Board has resolved to authorise on an on-going basis through the use of TUPs.

TUP applications require the submission of an application fee, completed application form and supporting documentation (i.e. site plans, floor plans, nature of proposed use) and are referred to adjacent property owners/occupants and the local Advisory Planning Commission (APC) prior to a decision by the Regional District Board.  The Board may also require the convening of a Public Information Meeting before rendering a decision.

The application fees for a Temporary Use Permit (TUP), effective January 1, 2022, are as follows:

  • $2,500.00 for a "vacation rental" use;
  • $1,250.00 for all other uses; and
  • $1,250.00 for the renewal of a TUP ("vacation rental" and all other uses).

For more information on Vacation Rental TUPs, view our TUP’s for Vacation Rentals page.

To complete an application, please fill out the Temporary Use Permit Application Form.

Temporary Use Permit Brochure