West Bench Geotechnical Review
At its meeting of October 7, 2021, the Planning and Development (P&D) Committee of the Regional District Board received the final report of the Greater West Bench Geotechnical Review from Ecora and Clarke Geoscience Limited.
A copy of the report can be accessed at the following link: Greater West Bench Geotechnical Review (version 2021-07-27)
Video Presentation - October 7, 2021
The following video link is to the presentation made by Jen Clarke of Clarke Geoscience Ltd. and Michael Laws of Ecora to the Planning and Development (P&D) Committee of the Regional District Board on October 7, 2021:
With the adoption of a new Electoral Area "F" Official Community Plan (OCP) Bylaw in 2018, the Regional District Board implemented a new policy to "support an updated technical assessment of geotechnical hazards in the West Bench / Sage Mesa area using new technologies (e.g., LiDAR) that were not available when the area was last assessed."
In response, a Request for Proposals (RFP) was subsequently released on September 6, 2019, seeking submissions from qualified Proponents to complete a geotechnical review for the greater West Bench area to accurately define existing hazardous areas and determine the application of appropriate Planning land uses.
This review includes all lands in the West Bench, Sage Mesa and Husula Highlands (i.e. Greater West Bench), and is to provide the Regional District with a final report and assessment of the Greater West Bench area geotechnical conditions utilizing historical and up-to-date data and applying modern technology and methods. The final report and mapping is also intended to give the Regional District better understanding of what land use policies specific to GWB may be needed to better inform and guide residents of the geotechnical conditions and uses of the lands.
At its meeting of October 17, 2019, the Regional District Board awarded a contract for the geotechnical review for the Greater West Bench Area to Ecora Engineering & Resource Group Ltd. in association with Clarke Geoscience Ltd.
Proposed Official Community Plan (OCP) & Zoning Bylaw Amendments
In response to recommendations contained within the the Greater West Bench Geotechnical Review (2021), the Regional District is proposing to initiate a number of amendments to the Electoral Area “F” Official Community Plan (OCP) and Zoning Bylaw. This includes, amongst other things, the following:
- amend the Electoral Area ‘F’ Official Community Plan (OCP) Bylaw No. 2790, 2018, to:
- re-structure Section 17.0 (Hazard Lands) to include new sub-sections for Geotechnical, Flood, Wildfire and Radon Gas hazards;
- introduce new policies for Geotechnical & Flood hazards at Section 17.0 (i.e. support for a Soil Deposition & Removal Bylaw, Terms of Reference for Geotechnical Reports, restrictions on suites, accessory dwellings and subdivision, etc.); and
- introduce a new Schedule ‘D’ (Hazard Lands – Soil) utilising new mapping from the Greater West Bench Geotechnical Review (2021); and
- introduce a new Schedule ‘G’ (Hazard Lands – Flooding) utilising OBWB floodplain mapping (2020)
- amend the Electoral Area ‘F’ Zoning Bylaw No. 2461, 2008, to:
- introduce a minimum parcel size for subdivision of 2.0 ha in the SH5 and RS5 zones that apply to properties in the Greater West Bench area; and
- introduce a prohibition on the development of new swimming pools, ponds, and water features within the SH5 & SH6 Zones.
Additional information, including copies of Draft Amendment Bylaw Nos. 2790.04 and 2461.21 can be accessed below.
Amendment Bylaw Status
|Draft Documents||Public Consultation||Regional District Board Consideration|
Draft Amendment Bylaw:
(version - 2021-10-07)
(version - 2021-12-10)
Prepared by Ecora and Clarke Geoscience Ltd
(version July 27, 2021)
(version - 2021-10-07)
Public Information Meeting:
Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2021
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Video: Recording of Meeting
PowerPoint Presentation (Consultants)
PowerPoint Presentation (RDOS staff)
Advisory Planning Commission (APC):
Date: Monday November 22, 2021
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Meeting number: TBD
Toll Free: 1-833-311-4101
Instructions on participating in and attending
Planning & Development Committee:
Bylaw Introduction (1st & 2nd reading):
Amendment Bylaw 2790.04
Amendment Bylaw 2461.21
3rd Reading & Adoption: