Campbell Mountain Landfill proposed organics composting facility open houseNews Article
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) is entering the next phase of public engagement on the construction of an organics composting facility at 1313 Greyback Mountain Road, Penticton, adjacent to the Campbell Mountain Landfill (CMLF). The RDOS is seeking to rezone the property in order to permit the construction of an organics composting facility at the site.
The RDOS is inviting residents and other interested parties to attend an open house and provide feedback on the Organics Composting Facility project. The open house event is planned for Wednesday, October 4th, 2023, between 6:00 and 8:00 pm at Uplands Elementary School, 145 Middle Bench Road, Penticton.
The organics composting facility has the following advantages:
Reduces environmental impacts:
- Divert organics that would otherwise be buried or burned. This will reduce the need to ship waste out of the region in the future, reduce environmental impacts such as burying or burning, and help keep community waste disposal costs low.
Reduces carbon footprint:
- Reduces greenhouse gases by trapping carbon, reducing methane generation and converting organics into a stable form of carbon.
- It's estimated that the community’s carbon footprint can be reduced by approximately 14%.
Organic certified compost:
- The compost produced will meet Organic Certified standards and can be used on farms or for landscaping purposes.
- Creates a means to safely dispose of blights and crop infestations.
- Provides an important soil additive that helps to reduce water usage and the use of chemical soil additives on farms such as nitrogen and phosphorus, which can create greenhouse gases and cause environmental and health implications for streams and lakes.
Residents of the current Campbell Mountain Service Area (including all or parts of Electoral Areas "B", "D", "E", "F", "G", and "I", the City of Penticton and the Village of Keremeos) are encouraged to attend public meetings and visit the Organics Composting Facility project page on RDOS Regional Connections at rdosregionalconnections.ca/compost.
RDOS Regional Connections is an online engagement platform for residents and property owners to learn more about the proposed organics composting facility, ask questions, and provide feedback.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information on the Campbell Mountain landfill operations visit https://www.rdos.bc.ca/solid-waste/landfills/campbell-mountain/ or contact Andrew Reeder, Senior Manager of Solid Waste.
Mark Pendergraft, Chair
Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
Senior Manager of Solid Waste