Comfort Letter

Comfort Letters provide information on land use items such as the current zoning, building permit records, etc. and are most commonly requested by law firms or Real Estate Agents wanting to know the current status of a property before the finalization of a property sale.

Copies of records or building permit plans will not be provided through a Comfort Letter and these should be made through a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the Regional District (see below).

What should I include in a Comfort Letter request?

The following information is required by the Regional District in order to process a Comfort Letter request:

  • the name, address, contact phone number and email address of the person making the request;
  • civic address and legal description of the property that is the subject of the request; and
  • an itemized list of information being requested (i.e. type and status of permits, zoning, date of Occupancy Certificate, outstanding issues, etc.).*

* All items being requested in a Comfort Letter should be very specific about the nature of the information that is being sought.  Poorly drafted requests will receive a "general" response that may result in pertinent information being omitted.  

How do I submit a request for a Comfort Letter?

Requests for a Comfort Letter can be submitted to the Regional District by one of the following methods:

How much does a Comfort Letter cost?

The fee for a Comfort Letter is $100.00, payable to the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen. 

Payment can be made on-line at the following web-page:

NOTE: in the "Comments" field, please indicate the property and the request that payment is being submitted for (i.e. "Comfort Letter Payment").

How long will it take for my request to be completed?

Allow up to 10 working days, per property, from receipt of payment to process the request.

NOTE: requests cannot be processed until payment has been received.

Where can I find other related information?

  • Any bylaw infractions and investigations may require a Freedom of Information (FOI) request.  Further information regarding the submission of an FOI request can be found on the following webpage:
  • Any charges (such as Restrictive Covenant, Statutory Rights-of-way, Covenants, Easements, etc.) registered against a property should be directed to the Land Titles Office or 1-877-577-5872.
  • Health regulations including on-site septic and private wells should be directed to Interior Health at 250-469-7070 or Ministry of Health at 1-800-663-7867 or
  • Site contamination, non-compliance with laws and regulations governing environmental matter, should be directed to the Ministry of Environment at or 1-800-663-7867.   
  • The Regional District does not issue permits for plumbing, gas, or electrical items and Technical Safety BC should be contacted for this information at or 1-866-566-7233.