This toolkit is designed for multi-family housing in the RDOS to use for setting up and maintaining successful recycling programs. Multi-family housing includes apartments, condominiums, townhouses, mobile home parks, housing co-operatives, and developments serviced by private roads. The toolkit is intended for building owners, managers, and operators, strata managers and teams, local governments, and concerned citizens.
Watch the video, Recycling Toolkit for Multi-Family Buildings (click and then view under the heading Videos). This video will go over the How-to Guide.
The How-to Guide will help you to learn what you can recycle, find the best hauler for you, store your recycling, add signage, and encourage your residents to recycle. Finally, it will guide you on how to monitor and measure success, and reduce waste disposal costs.
The resources referred to within the How-to Guide are found below.
How to Get a Recycling Collector
- Commercial Waste & Recycling Services Business Directory
- Questions to ask your hauler
- Guide: Are your waste bins the right size?
- Recycling program letter EXAMPLE – for new recycling programs
- Recycling program letter EXAMPLE – for enhanced recycling programs
- Signage and colour scheme best practices
- Recycling sign EXAMPLES (with icons)
- Recycling sign EXAMPLES (with photographs)
- Recycling Toolkit for Multi-Family Buildings (click and view video, posted under heading Videos)
Multi-Family units can check with their local municipality if recycling programs or educational resources are available. For example, the City of Penticton has assisted multi-family recycling programs in their community with educational resources and recycling audits. Don't forget to check if your municipality has more recycling resources for multi-family buildings.