To Obtain a Building Permit
Building permit applications are available at the Building Inspection Counter at the Regional District Office at 101 Martin Street, Penticton, between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Building permits take approximately four to six weeks to process, depending on the time of year and the number of applications in the system. Fees for building permits range according to the size and type of structure and can be paid by cash, cheque, Interac, Mastercard or Visa.
must be complete prior to submission and are processed on a first come, first served basis.
Failure to obtain a building permit may result in a notice of contravention being registered on the title of the property to warn prospective purchasers and/or finance companies of potential deficiencies. If any construction for which a permit is required by RDOS Bylaw 2805 is commenced before a building permit is issued, the owner may be required to pay double the prescribed fee. Failure to obtain a permit and the necessary inspections may also ultimately result in an order to remove or demolish the structure.
Building Permit Fees
- RDOS Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 2955, 2022
- Application fee - $200 or $575 (if value of project is higher than $100,000). This fee (minus $25 administration fee) will be deducted from cost of building permit.
- Building Permit - see Fee Schedule (minimum $200)
- Permit to place a Manufactured/Mobile Home (CSA A-277/Z-240 only) - see Fee Schedule (minimum $200)
- Farm Building Permit (not Exemption Permit) - $275
- Farm Building Exemption (no inspections) - $25
- Temporary Building/Structure (for not more than one year) - $175
- Demolition or Relocation of building or structure - $200
- Solid Fuel Burning Device - $175 per appliance (included in the fee for the permit of a new building)
- Plumbing Permit - $12 per fixture when in conjunction with a building permit and $12 per fixture plus an administrative fee of $200 when a plumbing permit is issued separately.
- Re-inspection Fee - $125
- Permit Extension Fee - $150
- Permit Transfer Fee - $125
- Information Retrieval from file - $30
- Digital copy of permit file - $15
- File Search - $100
- Removal of bylaw infraction Notice on title - Deficiency Inspection permit & removal of Notice from title $1000 (if RDOS lawyer not involved) or $1500 (if RDOS lawyer involved).
- Health & Safety Inspection for vacation rental TUP - $200
- Construction commenced without a permit will be assessed an additional charge equal to 25% of the building permit fee as prescribed in the Fees and Charges Bylaw prior to obtaining the required building permit. If a Stop Work Notice or Do Not Occupy Notice is issued and remains outstanding for 14 days, double the fee prescribed in the Fees and Charges Bylaw with no limit.
Applications will not be processed and no building permit will be issued without the following:
- Non-refundable application fee of either $200 or $575 (if value of project is greater than $100,000). The application fee (minus $25 administration fee) will be applied towards the building permit fee.
- Completed application form accompanied by a duly signed Owner's Undertaking.
- Current (no older than 30 days) copy of "State of Title Certificate" (or a Title search)
- Copies of any easements, rights of ways, and/or covenants registered on the title.
- Copies of any approvals required under any enactment including sewage disposal permits, highway access permits and Ministry of Health approval.
- Two sets of building plans at a suitable scale which will include:
- Floor plan, basement plan, foundation plan (all rooms must be identified)
- Elevation plans, front and back, both side views (identify natural and finished grade)
- Cross section through the building illustrating foundations, drainage, ceiling heights and construction systems
- Site plan showing dimensions and locations of all buildings on subject property.
- Letter of Authorization signed by the applicant and authorized agent if the applicant is not the registered owner of the property.
- BC Housing New Home Registration Form is required for all new dwellings. A building permit application cannot be accepted without a New Home Registration Form. Check their website at www.bchousing.org.
- New dwelling (including mobile/manufactured homes) and commercial uses must provide proof of potable water. Either approval of connection to a water system (Irrigation District, municipal or RDOS water system) or a Declaration of potable water from the property owner(s).
Important - Riparian Area Regulations (setback from watercourse)
(permit must be issued before construction can start)
Farm Building Exemption Permit – $25 fee & exempt from inspections
- Low human occupancy farm buildings less than 20 m2 (215 ft2)
- Unenclosed hay storage structures or animal shelters less than 600 m2 (6458 ft2)
- Greenhouses up to 190 m2 (2045 ft2) used for production of agricultural and horticultural produce or fees
Farm Building Permit - $275 fee
- Bona fide farm building less than 600 m2 (6458 ft2), designed for low human occupancy and located on land classed as farm under the Assessment Act (does not include covered riding arenas, structures associated with cannabis production, structures associated with the production of manufactured derivatives from agricultural raw materials (wine, sausages, fruit leathers, jams, etc) or structures which may be used for assembly occupancies
Farm building means a building or part thereof which does not contain a residential occupancy and is located on land dedicated to farming and is used exclusively for the housing of equipment or livestock, or the growing or production, storage or processing of agricultural and horticultural produce or feeds.
Please note that applications for farm buildings or exemptions MUST be accompanied by a site plan showing the location & size of all buildings on the property, floor plan showing use, elevation drawing showing height to highest point, a current title search and copies of all covenants, easements and rights of way registered on the title. The RDOS can obtain the title & legal documents for the applicant if necessary. All associated fees must be paid before Exemption/Permit can be issued.
Application for Demolition / Relocation
Applications for permits to authorize demolition or removal of a building or structure, must include a Waste Disposal Plan detailing where the waste will be going. If the demolition waste is going to an RDOS Landfill, a Waste Disposal Application must be made to RDOS Solid Waste department. For information on Landfill Waste Disposal Application (to allow demolition & renovation waste to be received at an RDOS landfill) please see the RDOS Public Works - Solid Waste - Demolition, Renovation & Construction Waste Information page or phone 250-490-4144.
If a structure is being relocated within the Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) except Electoral Areas "B" or "G", a building permit is require BEFORE the structure can be placed.
A current title search and 2 copies of a site plan showing the location of the structure under application are also required. A title search can be obtained from the RDOS for a fee of $25.
Demolition/Relocation permits cost $200. The owner must prove compliance with the approved Disposal Plan and pass an inspection of the demolition site by a building official.
Applications for Complex Buildings
In addition to the above requirements, applications for complex buildings must include a letter of assurance in the form of Schedule A, Building Code analysis, and letters of assurance (Schedule B) for each registered professional required on the project.
Prior to applying for a Building Permit the Regional District cautions that the applicant should check to ensure that the applicant is not in violation of any other RDOS regulations, Commission Order, Provincial Legislation or Statute. See "Other Contacts".